Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Knitter Knits

Here's the thing...when knitting a stockinette sweater at 7.25 spi, there's this big chunk of time where you just, well, knit. I can't tell you much about the progress on the October sweater because I'm knitting...and knitting...and knitting. The body is done. One sleeve is half done. I suppose I could show you another picture of the body just hanging on the needles, but it isn't all that exciting.


On a good note, however, I confirmed that knitting down from a provisional cast on works just great. I had a bit of dread getting in the way of my knitting. I was worried that my plain stockinette sweater might show the line where I started knitting down. So I swatched. And it works. There. Done.


More Almanac News


I'm already scoping out the projects for November and December. November is Mocassin Socks--a sock with a replaceable sole. I could use any number of sock yarns in my stash, but instead I opted to order some Quebecoise from Schoolhouse Press in a lovely deep gray and some contrasting red.


December is the "hurry up" sweater. This sweater must be knit at 2.5 spi (quite a contrast to my current sweater). The pattern is designed for the lovely Sheepsdown. Have you looked outside lately? It is 95-degrees outside right now. I can't imagine it ever being cold enough for me to wear a sweater made of sheepsdown!!! So I ordered 7 skeins in Gray and Cream. I'll stripe the sweater. I may never wear it, but I'll know what it is supposed to look like.


I'm also scoping out using a mohair lace--like Kid Silk Haze--and making a tunic. I may do both. Some of my knit buds are planning on knitting the sweater too. I can make the bulky one in November to figure out the pattern and the lace one in December--and help my friends that need it.


Finishing


Despite the apparent lack of finishing, I do have some finished stuff to show you.
First: Lady Eleanor is finally done, off the needles, blocked and fringed. One thing one must remember: Noro Silk Garden (and Silk Garden Lite) is MUCH softer once it is washed. This thing is warm and soft and long.


Pattern: Lady Eleanor from Scarf Style
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden Lite
And I've been doing some spinning. In case you ever wondered what the difference is between "unfinished" yarn and yarn that has been soaked, thwacked and otherwise properly finished, here's a before and after shot--unfortunately in different light.
Blue Moon Fiber Arts Sheep to Shoe kit in Fire on the Mountain.
Superwash Merino, 3 ply. I ended up with well over 500 yards from the 8+ ounces. I haven't done the calcs, but I have lots of yarn here.
OK, that should catch you up. I think I'll go back to working on the sleeves.

1 comment:

loopykd said...

Karen, that is some beautiful yarn. Do you have an idea of what you want to do with it? Will it automatically be socks?